Following mounting speculation on social networking site Twitter, organisers of the Sonisphere Festival have this morning confirmed that the event has been cancelled. Due to be held at Knebworth Park on 6th-8th July, the event was due to feature headline acts Queen with Adam Lambert, Kiss and Faith No More.
Releasing an official statement on the Sonisphere site, organisers Kilimanjaro said: “Putting the festival together in what is proving to be a very challenging year was more difficult than we anticipated and we have spent the last few months fighting hard to keep Sonisphere in the calendar. Unfortunately circumstances have dictated that we would be unable to run the festival to a standard that both the artists and that Sonisphere’s audience would rightly expect.”
Although the official statement appears to blame logistical problems, there are suggestions from other websites that ticket sales had been low. Hard rock fans who last year saw ‘the big four’ of heavy metal, Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeath and Slayer all perform at Sonisphere, voiced their criticism of this year’s line-up when it was announced.
Queen legends Brian May and Roger Taylor, who were due to perform with American vocalist Adam Lambert, said on their official website: “We are disappointed to hear of the cancellation of the Sonisphere Festivals as we were very much looking forward to performing with Adam Lambert and particularly as the venue was Knebworth, our last stand with Freddie. We apologise for the disappointment to all those who were looking forward to seeing us. We are working to see if we can redress the situation at some other venue.”
The full statement from the festival’s organisers is available on their website here
Latest posts by Adam Parry (see all)
- Birmingham voted favourite UK regional city for business tourism events - November 30, 2015
- Key to helping delegates retain information revealed - November 30, 2015
- Securing the Cabinet: Managing security at Conservative Party Conference - November 30, 2015
- UK Festival Report launched to go to Paris UN Climate Change Summit - November 30, 2015
- WRG hires Healthcare Communications Director as part of growth strategy in the healthcare sector - November 27, 2015